First college assignment project on artstation!
I'm normally not proud enough to show my college work here but my lecturer allowed me to use blender to export models for this specific assignment (allowing me to more or less model to my full potential), and I put an immense amount of work into DT's textures. 3DS Max's rigging features, though similar to blender, come with a lot more complications, as posing (and modeling) requires twice the steps one would need in blender. Fortunately, its texturing is far quicker and easier to adjust.
There's a bit of a story behind this character, dating back to an old RPG I was tinkering with in RPG maker VX. Essentially, DinoThor was originally a companion android built by a hero named Jack Ratchet to defend his town. The name "DinoThor" or "DT" came about from the machine's continuous electrical sparks that it emitted as it operated. as it operated. DT was not wired well. DinoThor would see thieves and vandals out of town with his gargantuan hammer, and would subdue attackers with a paralyzing static shock, most of the time by accident.
As events unfolded, Jack ended up changing completely as a person, and re-purposed DinoThor as a machine far less... Self defensive. DT's friendly Artificial Intelligence was replaced with a program to kill enemies, instead of scaring them away. The hammer was a far less effective weapon to DinoThor 2.0's newly enhanced claws, as the hammer only slowed DT's movement speed.
I referred to a study on how we see shapes, and found that we tend to find triangular shapes to make characters or objects look fast, unstable and dangerous, and I attempted to use this effect on the model. Strangely enough, I also tried to tweak my sketches (and the final model) so that most of the parts of the model could be traced around with a heart shape, depending on the angle.
DinoThor 2.0's been through a few scraps, and I tried to show this with the (strangely symmetrical) dents and scratches on its body.